26.9.08

Sandwich Top Project

Jameel Abraham made a beautiful oud in late 2006, using Nomex to construct a "sandwich top" oud. I first became aware of this material, when I saw it being used for the construction of classical guitars by luthiers like Matthias Dammann, Fritz Mueller and Gernot Wagner. I had been considering trying it on an experimental oud, so I was very interested in Jameel's project. A few months ago, I started some experimentation of my own and used graphite composite sheets for bracing the soundboards. I interposed the graphite composite sheets between two balsa welts using epoxy. I used epoxy also for mounting nomex between two Canadian Red Cedar plates. The sandwich plates became perdurable against humidity and temperature changes up to 60 degree Centigrade. There is no probability for getting cracks unless being heavily hit. I made some Turkish and Arabic ouds with sandwich tops and the sounds of these ouds outran the sounds of all my previous Grand Concert Ouds.
PRICING: PROMOTIONAL VALUE EARLY-BIRD
PRICE
DOUBLE SOUNDBOARD OUD WITH MOTHER OF PEARL RINGS AROUND THE ROSETTES (plain, not ornate): US$:4000.-
DOUBLE SOUNDBOARD FULLY ORNATE: US$: 7000.-


No comments: